Brother-sister bond celebrated on Bhai Dooj
New Delhi: Delhiites on Monday celebrated Bhai Dooj as women put vermilion on their brothers` forehead and prayed for their long life.
Bhai Dooj, also known as Bhaiyya Dooj or Bhai Phonta in West Bengal, is celebrated on the second day after Diwali.
On this day, sisters put a `tilak` or vermilion mark on the forehead of their brothers and perform his `aarti` with a diya, praying for his happiness and long life. Brothers in return give gifts to their sisters.
"It is a great day for me as my brother is here after four years. I got up early in the morning, we both went to the temple and then performed the ceremony," said Renuka Singh, a software professional.
Pankaj Dubey, a doctor, said: "It is my sister`s first Diwali and Bhai Dooj after her marriage and I have planned a grand celebrations. She will spend the whole day here and I am really looking forward to a great day."
The state-run Delhi Transport Corporation has decided not charge fare from women during the day.
According to Hindu mythology, on this day Yamaraj, the lord of death, visits his sister, who puts vermillion his forehead and prays for his well being.
According to another legend, on this day Lord Krishna, after slaying the demon Narakasura, went to his sister Subhadra who welcomed him with a lamp, flowers and sweets, and put the holy protective spot on his forehead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa