B.Sc student among 2 held for peddling illegal arms in Delhi
New Delhi: Two persons, one of them a B.Sc student, have been arrested for allegedly being part of an interstate gang involved in the distribution of illegal weapons with seven sophisticated firearms having been seized from the duo.
According to police, the accused, who have been identified as Ramakishan (35), a resident of Bharatpur area of Rajasthan, and Jitender Jarma (24), a resident of Dhar of Madhya Pradesh, were arrested yesterday.
Seven semi-automatic, sophisticated pistols of 7.65-mm bore have been recovered from their possession, police said.
According to police, Jitendra is a final year B.Sc student who was in dire need of money and was paid Rs 5,000 for delivery of every consignment of illegal firearms.
"We received a tip-off that an interstate gang with its base in Dhar has sent a consignment of weapons to be delivered in Delhi.
"Yesterday, we got information that one of the gang members was coming to deliver a consignment of illegal pistols under the flyover at ISBT, Kashmiri Gate. We then laid a trap and arrested Ramakishan and Jitender," said a senior police officer.
Police said that the consignment of weapons had been brought from Dhar by Jitender and was delivered to Ramakishan, who was to reach it to criminals. The pistols would have been sold at Rs 20,000-25,000 apiece, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...