BSF personnel granted bail in his son`s suicide case
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has allowed the bail plea of a former BSF personnel, charged with abetment of suicide of his son, saying that his remarriage could not be held as a reason for the boy taking his own life.
Justice S N Dhingra dismissed the police`s plea, which opposed the bail on the ground that the decision of the accused Hanuman Singh, 51, to marry for the second time was
the reason behind the suicide of his eldest son Jasbeer Singh in 2008.
"There can be several reasons for committing suicide and weaker tolerance power is one of them. There has to be a very strong connect between the act of committing suicide and the man goading the victim to do it," the judge observed.
"If we go by your logic, I will have to charge the entire Delhi Police with abetting Jasbeer`s suicide because his suicide note also revealed that you (the department) had
failed to take action in his complaints against his father," the court said.
The court, however, directed Singh to give half the money he got from the BSF after expulsion as ex-gratia for the survival of his son`s family. It also asked him to furnish a
bail bond of Rs 25,000 with a surety of the same amount.
"Jasbeer was not a child. He should have worked and maintained his mother. You cannot send your father behind bars just because he remarried. There is a legal recourse available
and he should have availed them," the judge said.
The court, however, made it clear that the observation made by it would not be taken into account while deciding the case in trial court.
Jasbeer had set himself ablaze outside the BSF headquarters on June 12, 2008, leaving a suicide note in which he blamed Singh father for committing suicide.
Singh was later arrested under Section 306 (abetment of suicide) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre