Budget had touch of mother and wife: Dikshit
New Delhi: Delhi budget had a "touch of a
mother as well as of a wife", Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit,
who presented it today, said pointing towards proposed
enhanced tax on tobbaco products and sweetmeats.
"Lifestyles diseases are increasing in the city. To
promote better food habit, I have increased VAT on `namkeens`
and sweetmeats. Mothers and wives are always concerned about
health of family members and that way the budget has a touch
of a mother and wife," Dikshit said to a news agency.
Dikshit said she increased the VAT on `namkeens` and
sweetmeats only to encourage people to have good food habit
and not to collect more revenue.
"I also proposed VAT on unmanufactured tobacco like
bidi to discourage people from consuming tobacco," she said.
Describing the budget as "forward looking", Dikshit,
who presented her first budget in 12 years at the helm, said
special focus has been given to ensure "inclusive growth" and
to improve quality of life of the poorest of the poor.
"Our focus was to improve the quality of life of the
poorest of the poor. It is a budget focusing on ensuring
equitable development and inclusive growth," she said.
"We did not want to burden the common man. So no new
tax has been levied. We have hiked the tax on diesel vehicles
to discourage people from buying them as diesel vehicles
pollute the environment," Dikshit said.
In her tax proposals, Dikshit proposed levying an
additional tax of 25 per cent on existing tax rates on all
diesel-propelled vehicles while Value Added Tax on bicycles
having an MRP of upto Rs 3,500 has been removed to encourage
people to buy bicycles.
The Chief Minister said adequate emphasise has been
given to transport, education and health sector.
In the Rs 27,067-crore budget, the transport sector
got the highest allocation of Rs 3,348 crore, followed by Rs
1,802 crore for health sector while education has been given
Rs 1,247 crore.
"It is a balanced budget which will further boost the
economic growth rate. Most importantly, we have managed to
allocate Rs 13,600 crore as plan outlay which is 51 per cent
of total outlay," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference