Budget to ensure `roti, shiksha, swasthya` for all
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday refused to subscribe to the view that her budget was election oriented and said it was a budget to ensure `roti, shiksha and swasthya` for all the citizens.
"We know we are going to elections but please remember all our budgets in the last few years have been people- friendly. Budget was not prepared keeping in mind the elections," she told reporters after presenting the budget.
She said Government will cater substantially to the needs of the poor in the spheres of "roti, shiksha and swasthya (food, education and health)."
"It is a people-friendly and situation budget," she said adding she presented the budget keeping in mind the current situation and tried to provide relief to people.
Asked about the five per cent imposition of VAT, Dikshit said she cannot promise that there would not be any hike in bus and taxi fares.
"In 2008, media told us that we were not expected to come back to power. But we came on top," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video