Budget to ensure `roti, shiksha, swasthya` for all
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday refused to subscribe to the view that her budget was election oriented and said it was a budget to ensure `roti, shiksha and swasthya` for all the citizens.
"We know we are going to elections but please remember all our budgets in the last few years have been people- friendly. Budget was not prepared keeping in mind the elections," she told reporters after presenting the budget.
She said Government will cater substantially to the needs of the poor in the spheres of "roti, shiksha and swasthya (food, education and health)."
"It is a people-friendly and situation budget," she said adding she presented the budget keeping in mind the current situation and tried to provide relief to people.
Asked about the five per cent imposition of VAT, Dikshit said she cannot promise that there would not be any hike in bus and taxi fares.
"In 2008, media told us that we were not expected to come back to power. But we came on top," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez