Building collapses in Delhi, 4 killed
New Delhi: Four persons, including three
women, were killed when a four-storeyed building in west Delhi
collapsed this morning while construction activity was being
undertaken to strengthen another adjoining structure.
The building located near Uttam Nagar Metro Station came
down at around 11:30 am.
A family of seven resides in the house, they said, adding
officials are yet to ascertain how many were in the building
when the incident took place.
Four persons, rescued from the debris, were rushed to the
nearby Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital where the doctors declared
three of them dead.
"Three persons, including two women, were brought dead
while a man is undergoing treatment," Praveena Goel, Deputy
Medical Superintendent of DDU said.
Three of a family died in the incident. They have been
identified as Rooprani (60), her daughter-in-law Richa Sharma
(40) and grandson Jay Pathak (24) while Gagan Sharma (50), who
is Richa`s husband, suffered multiple injuries.
The fourth deceased was identified as Sarita Sharma (54)
who belonged to another family.
Gagan`s family lived on the ground floor of the building
while Sarita belonged to another family which was living on
one of the other three floors.
According to a senior police official, a nearby
restuarant had extended its basement to an open space in
between the ill-fated building and the hotel.
Following this, another building developed a tilt. To
rectify this, the owners of that building started construction
which led to the collapse.
An MCD spokesperson said the adjoining building no B-6B
measuring 125 sq yard was an old structure of about one and a
half storeys. "They started digging pits for erecting pillars
for fresh construction which may have resulted in the collapse
of this building. No construction has been reported in the
building collapsed," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!