Buses to come with CCTV cameras for safety of women: Delhi govt
New Delhi: In the wake of a widespread outrage over the gang rape and brutal assault of a 23-year-old para-medical student in a bus, Delhi government on Monday said it would install CCTV cameras inside the buses to ensure safety of women passengers.
"This is a shocking incident. I hope that the guilty are punished for the heinous crime. The Delhi government would now seriously work on installing CCTV cameras inside the buses," Women and Child Welfare Minister Kiran Walia said.
The victim, who pursues the course in Uttarakhand and is in the capital for her internship, is in a "critical condition" at the Safdarjung Hospital where she was rushed late last night after the crime which sparked outrage.
Both the girl and her male friend, who had boarded the chartered bus with tinted glass windows from Munirka in south Delhi around 9.45 PM to Palam, were assaulted with an iron rod by the men after the duo resisted before they were dumped on the road side near Mahipalpur flyover, police said today.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said government would take all necessary steps to ensure that such incidents do not recur.
"I have been told by transport department that their licence has been cancelled. We will take all the necessary measures to ensure that such incidents don`t happen," she said.
Delhi Transport department had planned to install CCTV cameras in all its buses long back but it is yet to be implemented.
Asked whether government was also planning to make it mandatory for installing CCTV cameras in private buses, an official in the Women and Child Welfare department said government was considering it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000