Buses to come with CCTV cameras for safety of women: Delhi govt
New Delhi: In the wake of a widespread outrage over the gang rape and brutal assault of a 23-year-old para-medical student in a bus, Delhi government on Monday said it would install CCTV cameras inside the buses to ensure safety of women passengers.
"This is a shocking incident. I hope that the guilty are punished for the heinous crime. The Delhi government would now seriously work on installing CCTV cameras inside the buses," Women and Child Welfare Minister Kiran Walia said.
The victim, who pursues the course in Uttarakhand and is in the capital for her internship, is in a "critical condition" at the Safdarjung Hospital where she was rushed late last night after the crime which sparked outrage.
Both the girl and her male friend, who had boarded the chartered bus with tinted glass windows from Munirka in south Delhi around 9.45 PM to Palam, were assaulted with an iron rod by the men after the duo resisted before they were dumped on the road side near Mahipalpur flyover, police said today.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said government would take all necessary steps to ensure that such incidents do not recur.
"I have been told by transport department that their licence has been cancelled. We will take all the necessary measures to ensure that such incidents don`t happen," she said.
Delhi Transport department had planned to install CCTV cameras in all its buses long back but it is yet to be implemented.
Asked whether government was also planning to make it mandatory for installing CCTV cameras in private buses, an official in the Women and Child Welfare department said government was considering it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves