Busy Metro corridors to have eight-coach trains
New Delhi: Passengers on two Delhi Metro lines that connect the capital with Noida and Gurgaon can hope to have a more comfortable journey by the end of 2013, when these corridors would have eight-coach trains as part of efforts to ease over-crowding.
The two corridors -- Noida City Centre-Dwarka and Jahangir Puri-HUDA City Centre -- are the busiest lines on the Delhi Metro network and carry over 13 lakh passengers every day. Over 20 lakh commuters in Delhi use Metro every day.
Delhi Metro chief Mangu Singh said the organisation has placed orders for procurement of train cars which would be added to the existing trains.
"By the end of 2013, more than half of the trains on Line 2 (Jahangir Puri-HUDA City Centre) will be eight coach ones. Likewise, half of the trains on Line 3 (Noida City Centre-Dwarka) will also have eight coach ones. The rest on these lines would be six-coach trains," he told reporters here.
While 60 trains currently run on Line 2, Line 3 has 71 trains.
Singh said by June, 2015, all trains on these two corridors would be converted into eight-coach ones.
He also said the Delhi Metro has already floated tenders for the procurement of 300 feeder buses to boost connectivity in the interior areas of the city in a major way.
To a question, Singh said the organisation would take at least six months time to put these buses on road.
On whether there was any proposal for a fare hike, he replied in the negative.
However, Singh said they were carrying out an exercise by reviewing the operational expenses.
"No decision, whatsoever, has been taken on this. We have started the exercise. If it gives a negative picture, then we will think of (a fare hike)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP