Bypolls pass off peacefully in North, East Delhi wards
New Delhi: The bye-elections in two municipal corporation wards in the capital on Sunday went off peacefully with 52.3 per cent voters exercising their franchise.
The wards Nangloi East (ward no 43) under North Delhi Municipal Corporation and Yamuna Vihar (Ward number 256) under East Delhi Municipal Corporation had fallen vacant after the demise of the sitting councillors.
"52.3 per cent voting was registered in the two wards till 5 pm today (at the close of polls)," Rakesh Mehta, state election commissioner NCT Delhi and UT Chandigarh, told reporters.
In Nangloi East, out of total 58,432 voters, 27,524 or 47.10 per cent came out to vote in 54 polling booths manned by 700 personnel deployed by the state election commission.
In Yamuna Vihar, 53.69 per cent of the 42,267 voters cast their votes in 46 polling booths spread across the ward.
Bosth these seats are reserved for women. BJP`s Asha Tayal and Congress`s Ramesh Devi are among the four candidates in the fray for Nangloi seat.
In the East Delhi ward, eight candidates were contesting including BJP`s Renu Shokeen and Sushila Agrawal of Congress.
The counting will take place on Tuesday.
The seat in Nangloi East was earlier held by Congress councillor Satyam Yadav who passed away late last year. The death of BJP councillor Vijay Bahal in February this year led to bye-elections in Yamuna Vihar ward.
Currently, BJP holds a clear majority in both the North and East Corporation houses. While the ruling party has 59 councillors in NDMC, Congress occupies 29 seats in the 104 member house.
In EDMC with a total of 64 seats, BJP has 35 and Congress 19 seats.
The polling began at 8 AM and continued till 5 PM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing