Cabinet may approve change in SAT officers` appointment norms
New Delhi: The government is likely to discuss the proposed amendments in existing norms related to selection of the presiding officer of the Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT), on Thursday.
"The Cabinet is expected to take up the issue of enlarging the field of selecting presiding officer of SAT under the amendments to Securities and Exchange Board of India(Sebi) Act, 1992, in its meeting scheduled on Thursday" a source said.
A statutory body, SAT was set up to hear appeals against orders passed by Sebi.
The post of SAT presiding office has been vacant since November 28, 2011.
In September, last year, the Finance Ministry had invited applications to fill the vacancy .
SAT is required to have a presiding officer and two other members, to be appointed by the central government. A SAT member is appointed for a tenure of five years and is eligible for re-appointment, subject to a maximum age of 62 years.
As per the Finance Ministry, a member of Sebi or any other person holding a senior management-level equivalent to executive director at the market regulator would not be eligible to be appointed as SAT member during his service and for upto two years of the date on which he ceases to hold office.
The candidate should have special knowledge or experience in law, securities, finance, economics, accountancy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers