CAG sensationalising its reports, crossing the line: Cong
New Delhi: With three CAG reports giving fresh ammunition to the opposition to target the government, Congress on Saturday accused the auditor of sensationalising its reports and crossing the line.
The party spoke of "long-term implications" if any Constitutional institution does not maintain the "fine balance and decides to transgress".
Seeking to trash the CAG report on coal blocs allocation, which has led to BJP demand for the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, party spokesman Manish Tewari said the Supreme Court had "not endorsed" the presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore pointed out by CAG in 2G spectrum allocation issue.
"The Supreme Court, while cancelling the 2G licences, did not make any observation with regard to the presumptive loss. If the apx court would have been convinced of averments of CAG, they would have endorsed the presumptive loss", he said.
"CAG will be well served by keeping this precedent in mind and not keep adding zeros, which unnecessarily sensationalises and vitiates the environment", he said.
Tewari`s remarks came in response to a host of questions, including whether CAG was crossing the `Lakshman Rekha` and on BJP demand for the resignation of the Prime Minister in the wake of CAG report on the coal blocs allocation.
Government has already rubbished CAG`s findings that private firms had got "undue benefits" to the tune of Rs 3.06 lakh crore in coal, aviation and power sectors, claiming the calculations were "misleading" and "faulty" and accused the auditor of not following its mandate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre