CAG sensationalising its reports, crossing the line: Cong
New Delhi: With three CAG reports giving fresh ammunition to the opposition to target the government, Congress on Saturday accused the auditor of sensationalising its reports and crossing the line.
The party spoke of "long-term implications" if any Constitutional institution does not maintain the "fine balance and decides to transgress".
Seeking to trash the CAG report on coal blocs allocation, which has led to BJP demand for the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, party spokesman Manish Tewari said the Supreme Court had "not endorsed" the presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore pointed out by CAG in 2G spectrum allocation issue.
"The Supreme Court, while cancelling the 2G licences, did not make any observation with regard to the presumptive loss. If the apx court would have been convinced of averments of CAG, they would have endorsed the presumptive loss", he said.
"CAG will be well served by keeping this precedent in mind and not keep adding zeros, which unnecessarily sensationalises and vitiates the environment", he said.
Tewari`s remarks came in response to a host of questions, including whether CAG was crossing the `Lakshman Rekha` and on BJP demand for the resignation of the Prime Minister in the wake of CAG report on the coal blocs allocation.
Government has already rubbished CAG`s findings that private firms had got "undue benefits" to the tune of Rs 3.06 lakh crore in coal, aviation and power sectors, claiming the calculations were "misleading" and "faulty" and accused the auditor of not following its mandate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH