CAG Shashi Kant Sharma has `unblemished` records: Centre to HC
New Delhi: The Centre on Thursday told the Delhi High Court that Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) Shashi Kant Sharma has an "unblemished record" as a civil servant and his appointment to the post has been made as per the practice being adopted in past.
"He (CAG) is having an unblemished service record as a civil servant," Attorney General G E Vahanvati, appearing for the Centre, told a bench of acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru.
The law officer objected to the submission of Prashant Bhushan, appearing for former Chief Election Commissioner N Gopalaswami and eight other eminent citizens, that the present CAG has the "greatest degree" of conflict of interest in the country as he had been an "integral" part of defence deals during 2003 to 2013 which could be the subject matter of scrutiny in future by the top auditing body.
The bench, which has so far not issued a notice, is hearing two separate PILs filed by the former CEC and others and advocate M L Sharma on the issue.
Sonia greets nation on Eid al-Fitr
New Delhi, Aug 8 (PTI) Congress President Sonia Gandhi today conveyed her greetings to the nation on Eid al-Fitr, saying the festival reminds people of virtues of "harmonious co-existence and mutual respect for each other`s faith".
Conveying her greetings and good wishes, Gandhi said Eid follows a month of fasting in which the essentials of faith are rejuvenated touching Islam`s message of peace and fraternity amongst all mankind.
"The festival reminds us of the virtues of harmonious co-existence and mutual respect for each other`s faith in a multi religious and diversified society like ours," she said in her message.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!