CAG Shashi Kant Sharma has `unblemished` records: Centre to HC
New Delhi: The Centre on Thursday told the Delhi High Court that Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) Shashi Kant Sharma has an "unblemished record" as a civil servant and his appointment to the post has been made as per the practice being adopted in past.
"He (CAG) is having an unblemished service record as a civil servant," Attorney General G E Vahanvati, appearing for the Centre, told a bench of acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru.
The law officer objected to the submission of Prashant Bhushan, appearing for former Chief Election Commissioner N Gopalaswami and eight other eminent citizens, that the present CAG has the "greatest degree" of conflict of interest in the country as he had been an "integral" part of defence deals during 2003 to 2013 which could be the subject matter of scrutiny in future by the top auditing body.
The bench, which has so far not issued a notice, is hearing two separate PILs filed by the former CEC and others and advocate M L Sharma on the issue.
Sonia greets nation on Eid al-Fitr
New Delhi, Aug 8 (PTI) Congress President Sonia Gandhi today conveyed her greetings to the nation on Eid al-Fitr, saying the festival reminds people of virtues of "harmonious co-existence and mutual respect for each other`s faith".
Conveying her greetings and good wishes, Gandhi said Eid follows a month of fasting in which the essentials of faith are rejuvenated touching Islam`s message of peace and fraternity amongst all mankind.
"The festival reminds us of the virtues of harmonious co-existence and mutual respect for each other`s faith in a multi religious and diversified society like ours," she said in her message.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Bid goodbye to frizzy hair this monsoon
- Xiaomi Mi Max smartphone, MIUI 8 to be launched today
- Amit Shah questions circumstances behind Syama Prasad Mookerjee's death, accuses Nehru of historic blunder on J&K issue
- SHAMEFUL! Hindu journalist in Pakistan forced to drink from separate glass in office as Muslims raise objections
- Be ready to tackle floods, Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik's message to administration