Can you divert balance budget for haemophiliac`s treatment? HC to govt?
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court today asked the city government to see if any balance funds are available in its budget for financial year 2013-14 and, if yes, to use the same for the treatment of a bed-ridden haemophiliac.
"Think of diverting any balance budget amount you have left for his (haemophiliac patient) treatment. Why allow it to lapse?" Justice Manmohan told Delhi government.
The court also asked the government to place on record its scheme under which those having haemophilia are being given free treatment and to explain why the patient, Amit Ahuja, does not fall within the parameters of the state`s policy.
It also sought the latest status report regarding Ahuja`s condition and treatment from the doctor attending on him and listed the matter for further arguments tomorrow.
The court passed the order while hearing the final arguments on Ahuja`s plea seeking free treatment for his ailment on the ground that his family no longer has the means to pay for his medication which is very expensive.
It had, yesterday, directed the Centre and the city government to explore the possibility of releasing money from various relief funds, including that of the Prime Minister and the Lt Governor, for treatment of the bed-ridden haemophiliac man.
Ahuja`s daily treatment costs over Rs one lakh per day and as per the city government and the doctors attending on him, his prognosis is not good because he is also suffering from pseudo-tumour, bed sores as well as hepatitis C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown