Candidates distribute booze among voters under Delhi EC`s nose
New Delhi: With Delhi assembly elections little over a month away, certain political parties are going all out to lure voters, even finding innovative ways to supply liquor to them in a bid to bypass the hawk eyes of the election commission.
According to the modus operandi, the voter is given a slip with the number of a currency note which is to be deposited with an identified liquor shop owner to get alcohol bottles.
These slips are being secretively distributed among voters by agents of some candidates.
The liquor vendor, who has already been paid in cash, supplies the bottles or the cartons to the customers on the basis of the number or numbers written on the slips, a list of which has already been provided to him.
In some cases, cartons of liquor bottles are being directly supplied to the voters` homes.
The Chief Electoral Office had previously said that there was a need to keep a tab on the use of liquor by candidates as distribution of free alcohol among voters had become a menace during elections across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah