Candlelight vigil held for Delhi gang-rape victim at Jantar Mantar
New Delhi: A number of people gathered in Jantar Mantar here on Wednesday evening for a candlelight vigil to mark one month of the gruesome gang-rape and assault of a 23-year-old paramedic student in the national capital.
People holding lit candles marched towards Parliament Street but were prevented from moving beyond Jantar Mantar.
Activist Kiran Bedi was also present at the function.
She said there is a need for citizen-social audit of systems. "Through this, I mean annual performance check of local police station and court by a team of system experts," she said.
Protesters said they are holding a peaceful protest which will continue till there is justice for the victim who is no more.
The girl was gang-raped and assaulted by six men in a moving bus on December 16. She later passed away in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- NSG likely to meet again to discuss entry of non-NPT countries
- Twenty five militants killed in eastern Nangarhar province in Afghanistan
- Kiren Rijiju celebrates anti-emergency day, says BJP against "dictatorship"
- Minister, 15 others killed in Somalia hotel attack
- Congress stages dharnas demanding resignation of 21 AAP MLAs