Candles lit at Munirka bus stand in memory of ‘Nirbhaya’
New Delhi: People lit candles and held solidarity marches in remembrance of the horrific Dec 16 Delhi gang-rape that shook the nation, as the victim`s parents demanded the juvenile convicted in the crime be given the strictest punishment.
At Munirka bus stand in south Delhi, where the 23-year-old physiotherapist trainee boarded the ill-fated bus along with her male friend a year ago, people gathered from the morning to light candles in memorium.
Groups of people, among them many students, came to the south Delhi bus stand to light candles.
The young woman, who was raped by five men and a juvenile in a moving private bus Dec 16 last year, died of her injuries nearly a fortnight after the assault. Her juvenile attacker, who is reported to have been the most brutal of the rapists, has been kept in a juvenile remand home.
The parents of the victim are holding a prayer meeting at the Constitution Club, seeking peace for their daughter`s soul.
"People who are unable to attend this prayer session are requested to pray wherever they are, so that god gives peace to my daughter," the father said.
In August, the Juvenile Justice Board, which tried the juvenile accused, sent the perpetrator to confinement for three years at a reformatory home, the maximum punishment under the law governing minors.
The eight months he has spent in custody while under trial are to be deducted from the sentence.
The parents of the victim maintain that the juvenile, who at the time of the crime was only a few months short of turning 18 years old, would escape punishment by being kept in a reformatory home.
Activist groups, like the Citizen Artists Group, have organised a daylong protest at Jantar Mantar, which would see singers and poets participating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi