Capt Kohli`s family to approach HC
New Delhi: With the government rejecting the
demand for a fresh probe into the death of Captain Sumit
Kohli, his family today said they will approach the High Court
to establish their contention that he did not commit suicide.
The young officer was found dead with gun shot wounds in
his Army accommodation at Lolab in Jammu and Kashmir on April
30, 2006, following which the family has been claiming that it
was a case of murder and not suicide as Army inquiry had
His sister Namrata Kohli said over phone from
Chandigarh that they decided to go to the High Court with
their plea as Defence Minister A K Antony had told Parliament
in a written reply to members` questions that no fresh probe
was necessary in the case.
She said her family would first obtain all documents
relating to Sumit`s death from the Defence Ministry through
Right to Information Act application and once the documents
reach their hands, they would approach the court.
The officer`s family had met Antony in August to request
a CBI probe into his death.
However, Antony told Rajya Sabha late last month that the
issues in this regard raised by the officer`s family had
already been investigated and the inquiry report along with
necessary documents pertaining to investigations, as demanded
by his family, have been handed over to them to clear doubts.
"No further inquiry is found necessary in this matter,"
the Defence Minister had said in his reply.
He added that it was found that the officer had committed
suicide by shooting himself in Kupwara on April 30, 2006
during his deployment in the counter-insurgency operations.
Capt Kohli was found dead at his room in military
residential facility in Lolab.
It had been just two months since he had won the
country`s third highest peacetime gallantry medal and his
death had shocked his family and enraged them, particularly
because the Army had claimed that it was suicide due to family
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: BJP's Rita Padole, Ravi Landge win from Amravati, Pimpri Chinchwad seats; Shiv Sena takes early lead in BMC polls