Caught driving drunk, to serve at mandir & help cop at signals
New Delhi: A 29-year-old youth, sentenced to seven days in jail for driving in a drunken state, has been spared imprisonment by a Delhi court on the condition that he will assist police at busy traffic signals and serve at a temple.
Additional Sessions Judge SC Rajan spared Inderpuri resident Suresh Kumar the jail term and assigned him civic jobs, saying "it would meet the ends of justice if he is given an opportunity to mend himself and learn norms of civic society."
The court asked him to report to the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) (Traffic), South West Delhi, in morning for three days for assisting police at busy traffic signals.
"The DCP will depute him to assist the traffic police officials on duty at any busy traffic red light under his jurisdiction in managing or diverting traffic from 10 am to 5 pm for three days," the court said, while modifying seven days sentence awarded to Suresh by a magisterial court here.
Ordering Suresh to serve at a Sai Baba temple here once a week for a month, the court said he has no criminal history and is a young boy who is starting his career.
Suresh had come to the sessions court seeking leniency after a magisterial court on April 20 sentenced him to seven days in jail with a fine of Rs 1,000 for driving his motorcycle under influence of liquor near PVR Naraina.
Suresh, however, had been released on bail till filing of his appeal against the magisterial court order.
Seeking leniency, Suresh`s counsel said the magisterial court had not considered high court judgments of high court, wherein jail terms for drunken driving have been modified to an order for assisting traffic police or cleaning temples or such other works.
The court, however, upheld the magistrate`s decision of disqualifying him from holding driving licence for six months, saying the order is maintained just to keep Suresh away from repeating such an act in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM