CBI arrests alleged chitfund scam mastermind
New Delhi: CBI on Wednesday arrested an absconding alleged mastermind of chitfund scam in Tripura, Abu Sadeque Ishtiak Ahmed Choudhury, in Kolkata where he was hiding after duping a number of people from the state.
Managing Director of Daffodils Associates Limited, Chowdhary, had been on the run since last October when CBI started probing a chit fund scam in which his company had allegedly duped investors of nearly Rs 11 crore.
Chowdhary was allegedly hiding in Kolkata from where he was nabbed today by a team of CBI officers.
It is alleged that Chowdhary collected over Rs 11 crore from investors of Tripura promising them higher rate of return against their deposits raised by issuance of certificates of shares and booking of flats and plots before escaping from the state without refunding the money, a CBI official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- Clinton says emails, foundation ties not a threat to her White House bid
- From Olympic glory to jail: Oscar Pistorius' bid to challenge six-year jail term fails
- Piers Morgan TWEETS AGAIN: UK journalist takes credit for PM Modi setting up task force for next three Olympics
- MS Dhoni says it will be an interesting series against `extraordinary` West Indies
- Obama creates world's largest marine reserve in Hawaii