CBI arrests I-T official, CA for taking bribe
New Delhi: The CBI Sunday arrested an income tax officer and a chartered accountant in Bangalore for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs five lakh from a person, the agency said here today.
The agency arrested ITO V Nagaraj and Chartered Accountant Nagin Kincha while allegedly receiving Rs five lakh out of the total Rs 20 lakh bribe demanded by them from a person, who informed CBI about it.
"A case was registered by CBI against an Income Tax Officer, Ward 4(3), Unity Building, Bangalore and a Chartered Accountant Lakshmi Complex, K.R Road, Bangalore u/s 120-B r/w 7 & 8 of PC Act 1988. It was alleged that the accused persons had demanded an illegal gratification of Rs 20 lakh for settling the income tax liabilities of the complainant. CBI laid a trap and both the accused persons were arrested while accepting a bribe of Rs 5 lakh as part of the Rs 20 lakh demanded by them," CBI spokesperson said here.
Searches were conducted at the residential premises of the accused which yielded a recovery of incriminating documents including investment details from the ITO and cash of Rs 50 lakhs (approx) along with incriminating documents from the CA, the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- SEBI mulling relaxed norms for REITs, InvITs, startups listing
- LIC to fill posts for 2 MDs; yet to name chairman
- Wild elephant tramples farmer to death in Coimbatore
- CID team visits Murshidabad hospital after two women killed in fire
- India must take Dawood's presence strictly with Pakistan: Samajwadi Party