CBI arrests I-T official, CA for taking bribe
New Delhi: The CBI Sunday arrested an income tax officer and a chartered accountant in Bangalore for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs five lakh from a person, the agency said here today.
The agency arrested ITO V Nagaraj and Chartered Accountant Nagin Kincha while allegedly receiving Rs five lakh out of the total Rs 20 lakh bribe demanded by them from a person, who informed CBI about it.
"A case was registered by CBI against an Income Tax Officer, Ward 4(3), Unity Building, Bangalore and a Chartered Accountant Lakshmi Complex, K.R Road, Bangalore u/s 120-B r/w 7 & 8 of PC Act 1988. It was alleged that the accused persons had demanded an illegal gratification of Rs 20 lakh for settling the income tax liabilities of the complainant. CBI laid a trap and both the accused persons were arrested while accepting a bribe of Rs 5 lakh as part of the Rs 20 lakh demanded by them," CBI spokesperson said here.
Searches were conducted at the residential premises of the accused which yielded a recovery of incriminating documents including investment details from the ITO and cash of Rs 50 lakhs (approx) along with incriminating documents from the CA, the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand