New Delhi: Former Telecom Minister A Raja on Wednesday told a Delhi court that CBI has failed to attribute any motive to him in the grant of 2G spectrum licences to firms like Unitech Group and Reliance Telecom Ltd.
"So far as companies like Unitech and Reliance Telecom Ltd (RTL) were concerned, CBI has failed to establish any motive or consideration for grant of licence. There is no quid pro quo vis-a-vis Unitech. CBI has nothing to show as to what motive or reward I had for granting the licence to Unitech.
"So far as Reliance Telecom Ltd and its three officials are concerned, no material has been brought on record as to what motive I had. Even CBI does not say anything against RTL as to what it earned," senior advocate Sushil Kumar, appearing for Raja, told Special CBI Judge O P Saini.
Concluding the arguments on framing of charges, Kumar said, there was no material with CBI against RTL and its three senior executives as to what benefit they got from Raja.
"There is not even the allegation against them (RTL) that they sold any licence," he said.
The counsel also referred to the allegation that DMK-run Kalaignar TV took Rs 200 crore as bribe through various firms of Shahid Usman Balwa, alleged beneficiary of the scam.
The agency should explain why a minister would take bribe in installments through cheques and that too in the form of a loan.
The defence lawyer also accused CBI of "filing charge sheets in installments to harass him" saying "CBI will come after a month saying they have found certain evidence against Videocon and then obviously I will be there in that case too."