CBI gets cheated by a Data Entry Opertor
New Delhi: A Data Entry Operator allegedly managed to siphon off Rs 18 lakh from the accounts of the country`s premier investigation agency CBI.
The case came to light after a complaint was filed by Pay and Accounts Officer, which works under the Finance Ministry and manages accounts of CBI, that a data entry operator hired by them on a contractual basis, had allegedly withdrawn Rs 18 lakh through cheques, CBI sources said.
The PAO, who sits in the CBI headquarters, alleged these are initial figures but the amount may be higher as more such withdrawls could come to light, they said.
Based on a complaint, the agency arrested Prashant Kumar Jha, a resident of Uttam Nagar, under the Indian Penal Code sections relating to criminal conspiracy, cheating, forgery among others and relevant sections of Prevention of Corruption Act.
He was on Saturday produced before a special CBI court here which sent them to 10-day agency custody.
In its complaint, the PAO alleged Jha, after hacking into accounts, got two cheques -- one for Rs 9.39 lakh issued in his name and another of Rs 8.68 in another person`s name -- encashed from banks in Uttam Nagar.
The PAO alleged Jha was hired on contractual basis through a placement agency in the national capital.
The officer alleged that so far only two cheques have come to light but the amount may go "much more" as there could be many more cheques which could have been encashed by him.
The complainant alleged the fraud was detected in the accounts of CBI related to fiscal 2011-12 and 2012-13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’