CBI gets cheated by a Data Entry Opertor
New Delhi: A Data Entry Operator allegedly managed to siphon off Rs 18 lakh from the accounts of the country`s premier investigation agency CBI.
The case came to light after a complaint was filed by Pay and Accounts Officer, which works under the Finance Ministry and manages accounts of CBI, that a data entry operator hired by them on a contractual basis, had allegedly withdrawn Rs 18 lakh through cheques, CBI sources said.
The PAO, who sits in the CBI headquarters, alleged these are initial figures but the amount may be higher as more such withdrawls could come to light, they said.
Based on a complaint, the agency arrested Prashant Kumar Jha, a resident of Uttam Nagar, under the Indian Penal Code sections relating to criminal conspiracy, cheating, forgery among others and relevant sections of Prevention of Corruption Act.
He was on Saturday produced before a special CBI court here which sent them to 10-day agency custody.
In its complaint, the PAO alleged Jha, after hacking into accounts, got two cheques -- one for Rs 9.39 lakh issued in his name and another of Rs 8.68 in another person`s name -- encashed from banks in Uttam Nagar.
The PAO alleged Jha was hired on contractual basis through a placement agency in the national capital.
The officer alleged that so far only two cheques have come to light but the amount may go "much more" as there could be many more cheques which could have been encashed by him.
The complainant alleged the fraud was detected in the accounts of CBI related to fiscal 2011-12 and 2012-13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai and Thane, BJP gains lead in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar