CBI may file case under OSA against Verma
New Delhi: More trouble seems to be in the offing for businessman Abhishek Verma as CBI may file a case under Official Secrets Act (OSA) with the Defence Ministry confirming that some documents sent by his estranged business associate Edmond Allen were secret in nature.
CBI sources said an intimation has been received from the Defence Ministry stating that some documents in the tranche provided by Allen were `secret` as per OSA.
They said in order to register a case under OSA, the agency would require a formal complaint which has not yet been received from the Ministry.
The sources said they would file a case only after discussing the matter with the Ministry although they have been informed that six documents were secret.
US-based attorney C Edmond Allen, who was a business associate of Verma, had provided sets of documents which deal with aquisition and future plans of the defence forces to CBI and other investigating agencies.
Allen and Verma have been engaged in litigations over alleged souring of business relations. Verma had filed a case against Allen accusing him of cheating him of Rs 55 crore and forging documents to defame him. A litigation between the two is going on in the US as well.
On the other hand, Allen had sent complaints of alleged money laundering and other related crimes against Verma to various investigating agencies of India as well as the US.
CBI has already booked Verma and his Romanian wife Ancea Neascu for allegedly taking USD 5.30 lakh from Swiss firm Rheinmetall Air Defence AG for using his "influence" to stall the blacklisting proceedings initiated by the government against it after the Ordnance Factory Board scam had surfaced. Both are currently in judicial custody.
The agency has on Wednesday slapped a case of alleged forgery against him as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what