CBI, political opponents conspired against me: Sajjan Kumar
New Delhi: Veteran Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, facing trial in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case, on Thursday told a Delhi court that there was a "conspiracy" between CBI and his political rivals, especially Akali Dal, to falsely implicate him in the matter.
Advocate IU Khan, appearing for Sajjan Kumar, argued before District Judge JR Aryan that the investigation in the case, in which five persons were killed during the riots in Delhi Cantonment area after the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984, was done with a "set and conditioned mind" to frame him in the case.
"The case is the outcome of conspiracy between CBI and Sajjan Kumar`s political opponents, that is, the leaders of Akali Dal and other parties opposite to him.
"Their motive was to falsely implicate him in the case," the counsel said during the final arguments of the case.
In the later stage of the final aruguments, the complainant and the CBI will be given a chance by the court to counter the submissions made by Kumar.
He further argued CBI had investigated the case with a conspiracy and pre-set mind of Kumar`s opponents that they have to falsely frame him in the case.
Sajjan Kumar is facing trial along with five others -- Balwan Khokkar, Kishan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal--for allegedly inciting a mob against the Sikh community in Delhi Cantonment area here.
Five Sikhs were killed in Delhi Cantonment area during the riots.
The counsel`s argument that witness, who belonged to Amritsar, were made to stay in Punjab Bhawan, premises of Punjab government, here in 2000 as and Akali Dal and NDA were in power in the state and at the Centre at that time.
This prompted the court to ask why Kumar was blaming mainly Akali Dal and if that means if anybody would stay at Punjab Bhawan, that will show there is some conspiracy going on there.
Khan said the stay of witnesses in Punjab Bhawan indicated that they were in collusion with Akali Dal in conspiring against Kumar.
"Not even a single witness who came here had claimed expenses from the court as everything was provided to them by Punjab government and they were given VVIP treatment at Punjab Bhawan," Khan said.
He also said there were contradictions in the statements of material witnesses, Jagdish Kaur and Nirpreet Kaur, regarding the place where Kumar gave the alleged speech instigating mob against Sikh community.
The defence counsel said Nirpreet Kaur was "unreliable, not trustworthy and she was not having clean antecedents".
"She was involved in several criminal cases and had also spent 12 years in jail in a TADA case. Even now, a case of cheating is pending against her," he said.
He also asked why Nirpreet Kaur did not come forward to depose against Kumar in 24 years and "the silence of witness for such a long time with unexplained reasons shows she is unreliable."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks