CBI raids residence of its former SP
New Delhi: The CBI on Friday carried out searches at the residence of one of its former superintendent of police for allegedly helping in dilution of charges against a coal merchant in return of some bribe amount.
Immediately after registering a case, the CBI carried out searches at the office and residence of JP Verma, besides other places including the offices of Ramesh Gandhi, who is named as accused in at least five cases.
The CBI claimed to have recovered Rs 50 lakh from Verma`s office located in Lajpat Nagar and also alleged that the former officer had received a bribe of Rs 2 lakh from Gandhi through a lawyer of Jharkhand.
For the CBI, it has been a long legal battle with Gandhi as the agency had secured an order last November against Calcutta High Court`s decision of quashing the FIR against Gandhi, who is also a part-time television producer.
The CBI proved before the apex court that Gandhi had allegedly suppressed facts and misled the high court to quash the FIR.
The first case was registered on March 22, 1994, on the directions of the Central Vigilance Commission, alleging that Gandhi had conspired with senior officials of the Bharat Coking Coal Limited to cause a loss of Rs 1.07 crore to the coal company.
The agency alleged that between February 1989 and December 1993, BCCL officials fraudulently included certain items in the contract for transportation of coal, to benefit Sainik Goods Careers Pvt Ltd (SGCPL), a company hired by Ramesh Gandhi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents