CBI raids residence of its former SP
New Delhi: The CBI on Friday carried out searches at the residence of one of its former superintendent of police for allegedly helping in dilution of charges against a coal merchant in return of some bribe amount.
Immediately after registering a case, the CBI carried out searches at the office and residence of JP Verma, besides other places including the offices of Ramesh Gandhi, who is named as accused in at least five cases.
The CBI claimed to have recovered Rs 50 lakh from Verma`s office located in Lajpat Nagar and also alleged that the former officer had received a bribe of Rs 2 lakh from Gandhi through a lawyer of Jharkhand.
For the CBI, it has been a long legal battle with Gandhi as the agency had secured an order last November against Calcutta High Court`s decision of quashing the FIR against Gandhi, who is also a part-time television producer.
The CBI proved before the apex court that Gandhi had allegedly suppressed facts and misled the high court to quash the FIR.
The first case was registered on March 22, 1994, on the directions of the Central Vigilance Commission, alleging that Gandhi had conspired with senior officials of the Bharat Coking Coal Limited to cause a loss of Rs 1.07 crore to the coal company.
The agency alleged that between February 1989 and December 1993, BCCL officials fraudulently included certain items in the contract for transportation of coal, to benefit Sainik Goods Careers Pvt Ltd (SGCPL), a company hired by Ramesh Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray