CBI registers case in RTI activist Amit Jethwa`s murder
New Delhi: CBI on Tuesday registered a case in connection with the 2010 killing of Gujarat-based RTI activist Amit Jethwa in which a state BJP MP is a suspect.
The agency started probe on the instructions of the High Court which had handed over the case to CBI and criticised the state police for their shoddy investigations in the murder in which BJP MP from Junagadh Dinu Bogha Solanki`s nephew Shiva Solanki was arrested for allegedly carrying out the killing but the MP was given a clean chit.
The agency has registered the FIR against unknown persons under Section 302 (murder) of IPC, CBI sources said.
The team of special crime unit would soon be reaching Ahmedabad to initiate its probe in the case, they said.
A Right to Information (RTI) and environment activist, Jethwa, who had filed numerous RTI applications and a PIL against illegal mining in Gir forest region, was shot dead outside the Gujarat High Court on July 20, 2010.
The killing had sparked an uproar among the RTI activists across the country who raised concerns over the safety of such whistleblowers.
His father Bhikabhai Jethwa had sought a CBI probe alleging that Dinu Bogha Solanki was behind the murder.
In his plea before the High Court, Bhikabhai has alleged that state police had not properly probed the case and the state government was shielding the BJP MP.
The division bench of Justices D H Vaghela and J C Upadhyay, on September 25, while handing over the case to CBI had observed that investigation in Jethwa murder case was "far from fair, independent, bona fide or prompt".
The High Court had also rapped the state police for its shoddy probe.
"It has come on record that Shiva Solanki (nephew of BJP MP and prime accused in the case) and DB (Dinu Bogha Solanki) were living together in a joint family and no investigator could have been easily satisfied with the statements that they did not interact in respect of the conspiracy to commit a capital crime," it had said.
Police had arrested six persons including Shiva and sharp shooter Sailesh Pandya, who had shot at Jethwa but it ruled out any involvement of Dinu Bogha Solanki in the murder.
The court later directed the police to specifically probe the role of the BJP MP but Solanki got a clean chit again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report