CBI to file report in Kandla Port Trust scam: HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday directed the CBI to file within three weeks a fresh status report in Kandla Port Trust scam in, which the port authority had allegedly allotted land on lease at a throw away price.
A bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Sanjiv Khanna asked, the agency to give details of all aspects of land allotment including the renewal of lease of the land by officials of the Ministry of Shipping.
It also directed the petitioner, Centre for Public Interest Litigation (CPIL), to file its rejoinder within two weeks.
The direction of the court came after the counsel for CPIL alleged that out of 16,000 acres of government land, 9000 acre has been allotted to a single family and the court should direct the government to submit a report on the issue.
However, in an affidavit, the Kandla Port Trust has said, that it has already initiated procedure to evict those leaseholder, whose lease has expired.
It further said, such land would be alloted to public through auction.
CPIL contended that the port trust might not be taking eviction procedure against all leaseholders, whose lease has expired.
Additional Solicitor General A S Chandiok, appearing for the Centre, said, that Kandla Port Trust has been informed about the decision of the government that the land, whose lease has expired, would be allotted to the public through auction.
CPIL in its petition alleged that a huge land scam had taken place during 1960s and 1970s, when land near Kandla Port was leased out on nomination basis and not on competitive bidding. It alleged irregularities in the allotment of 16,000 acres of government land near Kandla Port in Gujarat, causing a huge loss to the state exchequer.
It has also alleged that the conduct of the Ministry of Shipping was in violation the various provisions of Major Port Trust Act, 1963 and also guidelines of the government.
The CPIL in its petition has sought direction of the court to take back the possession of the government land and also eviction of those who are illegally occupying it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof