CBI to seek statement of Abhishek Verma`s associat
New Delhi: In what could spell trouble for alleged arms agent Abhishek Verma, the CBI would formally seek cooperation of his long term associate C Edmonds Allen in its probe against Verma.
CBI had booked Verma in a fresh case alleging that he took USD 530,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) on the promise that he would use his influence to stall blacklisting proceedings initiated by the government against it after the Ordnance Factory Board scam had surfaced.
Allen, who is cooperating with the CBI in an "informal" manner, will be approached to record his statement as per the requirements of legal provisions here, the agency sources said.
The sources said his statement would be crucial in corroborating the claims made by the agency and would bolster the case of CBI which is so far relying on crucial set of documents received by it from various sources.
The CBI sources said Allen was a majority stake holder in Ganton USA and Ganton India, which were alleged to be front companies of Abhishek Verma. Verma`s Romanian Ancia Neascu was a Director in Ganton India.
The agency is also likely to send Letters Rogatory to Switzerland seeking details of Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) which is based in Zurich, they said.
Sources said Verma was promised an alleged bribe of USD five million for stalling the blacklisting of RAD and had received USD 5.30 lakh as advance with "taxes" which were routed through Ganton USA headed by Allen.
Recently, Verma had moved a Delhi court with a complaint against his former partner Allen accusing him of cheating him of Rs 55 crore and forging documents and emails to defame him.
Allen had filed the complaint with the CBI Director and other top officials alleging Verma received funds from RAD for bailing it out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra