CBI to take control of Ishrat Jahan fake encounter
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) team constituted to probe Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case is set to take control of the investigation from Thursday.
The case was transferred to the crime branch after SIT had lodged a complaint declaring that the encounter was fake. The CBI so far has registered a case against 20 Gujarat police officers on grounds of murder and destruction of evidence.
The CBI earlier registered an FIR in the case with the CBI`s Mumbai Special Crime Unit.
The CBI so far has registered a case against 20 Gujarat police officers on grounds of murder and destruction of evidence.
The Gujarat High Court had on December 1 directed the CBI to take over further probe in the case in which 19-year-old Ishrat, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in Ahmedabad in 2004.
The directives came as the SIT constituted by the High Court had concluded last month that the encounter was staged by police.
A judicial inquiry report by metropolitan magistrate SP Tamang report had alleged that 2o police officers, including then crime branch chief JCP PP Pande, suspended DIG DG Vanzara, the then ACP GL Singhal and ACP NK Amin were involved in the conspiracy regarding the encounter.
Vanzara and Amin are also accused in the fake encounter killing of alleged gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh and in the murder of his wife Kausar Bi and are at present in jail.
The High Court had ordered the CBI to also probe the claims made by the state police after the encounter that Ishrat and the other three persons were LeT terrorists on a mission to kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral