CBI to take control of Ishrat Jahan fake encounter
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) team constituted to probe Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case is set to take control of the investigation from Thursday.
The case was transferred to the crime branch after SIT had lodged a complaint declaring that the encounter was fake. The CBI so far has registered a case against 20 Gujarat police officers on grounds of murder and destruction of evidence.
The CBI earlier registered an FIR in the case with the CBI`s Mumbai Special Crime Unit.
The CBI so far has registered a case against 20 Gujarat police officers on grounds of murder and destruction of evidence.
The Gujarat High Court had on December 1 directed the CBI to take over further probe in the case in which 19-year-old Ishrat, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in Ahmedabad in 2004.
The directives came as the SIT constituted by the High Court had concluded last month that the encounter was staged by police.
A judicial inquiry report by metropolitan magistrate SP Tamang report had alleged that 2o police officers, including then crime branch chief JCP PP Pande, suspended DIG DG Vanzara, the then ACP GL Singhal and ACP NK Amin were involved in the conspiracy regarding the encounter.
Vanzara and Amin are also accused in the fake encounter killing of alleged gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh and in the murder of his wife Kausar Bi and are at present in jail.
The High Court had ordered the CBI to also probe the claims made by the state police after the encounter that Ishrat and the other three persons were LeT terrorists on a mission to kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre