CBI yet to start probe in the MEA gift case
New Delhi: The CBI is yet to start probe in
the case wherein gifts bought by the External Affairs
Ministry to be given to foreign dignitaries were allegedly
purchased at inflated costs by circumventing rules.
Though the External Affairs Ministry has requested the
CBI to take over probe in the case, sources in the agency said
it is yet to initiate an inquiry in the case.
The Ministry had sent the request for the CBI probe as it
found in its preliminary investigations that the gifts to be
given by Minister SM Krishna to the foreign dignitaries were
purchased at inflated costs and were of inferior quality.
The Ministry had laid down rules that such gifts could
only be purchased from state-emporiums to promote indigenous
artforms of various states. However, Assam and Madhya Pradesh
Emporium had informed the Ministry that they have signed
memorandum of understanding with some private players for the
supply of artifacts, MEA said in an RTI response.
In its RTI response to activist Subhash Agrawal, the
Ministry said "the preliminary investigation conducted by the
Ministry could not establish prima facie any clear involvement
or complicity of the concerned officials of this Ministry. CBI
has, therefore, been requested to undertake a detailed
investigation into the matter.
"Action against those found guilty is contemplated only
after the completion of the CBI inquiry."
The Ministry said in its response that it has been
revealed during its preliminary investigations that gifts were
purchased at much more price than their actual costs.
The scam came to light after reports that several gifts,
which were purchased for foreign dignitaries during Krishna`s
visit to Malaysia and Myanmar, were of inferior quality and at
a higher price.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video