CBI yet to start probe in the MEA gift case
New Delhi: The CBI is yet to start probe in
the case wherein gifts bought by the External Affairs
Ministry to be given to foreign dignitaries were allegedly
purchased at inflated costs by circumventing rules.
Though the External Affairs Ministry has requested the
CBI to take over probe in the case, sources in the agency said
it is yet to initiate an inquiry in the case.
The Ministry had sent the request for the CBI probe as it
found in its preliminary investigations that the gifts to be
given by Minister SM Krishna to the foreign dignitaries were
purchased at inflated costs and were of inferior quality.
The Ministry had laid down rules that such gifts could
only be purchased from state-emporiums to promote indigenous
artforms of various states. However, Assam and Madhya Pradesh
Emporium had informed the Ministry that they have signed
memorandum of understanding with some private players for the
supply of artifacts, MEA said in an RTI response.
In its RTI response to activist Subhash Agrawal, the
Ministry said "the preliminary investigation conducted by the
Ministry could not establish prima facie any clear involvement
or complicity of the concerned officials of this Ministry. CBI
has, therefore, been requested to undertake a detailed
investigation into the matter.
"Action against those found guilty is contemplated only
after the completion of the CBI inquiry."
The Ministry said in its response that it has been
revealed during its preliminary investigations that gifts were
purchased at much more price than their actual costs.
The scam came to light after reports that several gifts,
which were purchased for foreign dignitaries during Krishna`s
visit to Malaysia and Myanmar, were of inferior quality and at
a higher price.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- SHOCKING VIDEO of Pampore attack surfaces online; terrorists can be heard firing indiscriminately - WATCH
- 7th Pay Commission: LIVE streaming of FM Jaitley Cabinet briefing
- Instead of holidaying in Bangkok, Ravi Shastri should have been physically present for high-profile coach interview: Sourav Ganguly
- Freedom 251: Will Ringing Bells ever deliver the Rs 251 smartphone?
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 606—Tanushree's plan to denigrate Pragya ends with a facepalm