Cell phone use in Delhi increasing at an incredible rate
New Delhi: Use of cell phones is increasing at an incredible rate in Delhi with the number of mobile connections in the city reaching 4.25 crore against its population of around 1.70 crore, implying that on an average every Delhiite has at least two phones.
The number of mobile phone connections in 2010-11 was 3.88 crore which increased by 37 lakh to reach 4.25 crore in 2011-12, as per Delhi government statistics released by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today.
The number of mobile connections in the entire country is estimated to be around 90 crore. In 2009-2010, the number of connections in Delhi was 2.82 crore.
The number of fixed line phone connections in Delhi has also risen marginally from 28.38 lakh in 2010-11 to 29.12 lakh in 2011-2012.
The figures have been published in the Delhi Statistical Handbook 2012.
As per the statistics, around five lakh vehicles were registered during 2011-12 taking the total number to 74.38 lakh vehicles against 69.32 lakh in 2010-11. The number of cars and jeeps in 2011-12 increased to 23.43 lakh from 21.73 lakh in 2010-11.
On use of public transport, the figures showed that around 162 crore passengers travelled on Delhi Transport Corporation buses during 2011-12. Around 111 crore passengers had travelled on DTC buses during 2010-11.
Delhi`s per capita income, which indicates an average earning of a person, is the third highest in the country with Goa having a per capita income of Rs 1,32,719 topping the list, and closely followed by Chandigarh at Rs 1,20,912.
In an indication of sustained economic prosperity, the per capita annual income in the city has increased by over 16 per cent to Rs 1.75 lakh in 2011-12 compared to the previous fiscal, which is three times the national average and second highest in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC