Centre rejects salary hike for Delhi MLAs, ministers
New Delhi: The Centre has rejected a Delhi
government proposal seeking a hike of up to 200 per cent in
the monthly salary of MLAs and 300 per cent increase in the
salaries drawn by ministers in the city.
Returning the file, the Union Home Ministry has raised
several questions over the proposal and asked why the salary
of the MLAs has been sought to be hiked as it was increased
only in the year 2007, top officials said.
"Usually, the salary of MLAs are hiked after 5
years. Parliament also follows this principle," they said.
The hike was proposed in August by Delhi`s Congress
government after discussion with opposition BJP. The city
government had proposed a hike in the range of 150 to 200 per
cent for the legislators.
As per the proposal, an MLA, who currently gets nearly
Rs 32,000 monthly, including all incentives, will get around
The salary of ministers, who now get around Rs 36,000
monthly, had been sought to be increased to around Rs 90,000.
Apart from the monthly emolument of Rs 32,000, the
MLAs also get a monthly amount of Rs 10,000 for employing
The government had also proposed to pay the MLAs a
monthly emolument of Rs 10,000 as office expenses while travel
allowance given to grade one officers has also been
recommended for the legislators.
Officials said the government also sought to give
5,000 litres of water and 1,000 unit of power per month free
of cost to each MLA.
"The government will now have to take an appropiate
decision. The proposal can be sent again," said Delhi Assembly
Speaker Yoganand Shastri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’