Chandni Chowk redevelopment plan may finally take off
New Delhi: An ambitious redevelopment project for the congested Chandni Chowk in walled city, which will
focus on easing traffic and clearing the mesh of overhead cables, may take off soon after the MCD holds interactions with residents and traders of the area on the issue.
The plan, which was earlier scheduled to be undertaken before the Commonwealth Games 2010 but has been in limbo, has finally got a nod from Lieutenant Governor Tejinder Khanna.
The decision to give the go-ahead was taken at a recent meeting and the civic body may start work on the project after this month, officials said.
As per the plan, the entry of motorised vehicles will not be allowed in the area during day and golf cart-type vehicles and battery-run low-floor light buses will operate.
"The plan will mostly focus on easing traffic in the area which is heavily congested. The stretch between Red Fort and Fatehpuri Masjid will be made pedestrian-friendly. The dangerous mesh of cables and wires hanging overhead will go underground. The encroachments will also be removed," Chandni Chowk councillor Suman Kumar Gupta said.
He said the MCD will hold a public hearing on the issue on Saturday.
"We will talk to the representatives of the residents` welfare associations as well as the traders` bodies. The L-G has asked the MCD to interact with the people, gather public opinion and incorporate whatever possible in the plan," the councillor said.
Other aspects of the project include providing for modern street furniture, street-lighting, pavements and benches in the area, residents of which have long been complaining of civic apathy and neglect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam