Chaos in Delhi Assembly: BJP, Congress demand removal of AAP minister Somnath Bharti
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Utter chaos prevailed in the Delhi Assembly on Thursday as legislators of the BJP and Congress raised slogans demanding the removal of Law Minister Somnath Bharti over the issue of midnight raid against African women, forcing the Speaker to adjourn the proceedings twice.
The Opposition ceased to let the House function and scenes similar to the Parliament were witnessed when Congress MLA Asif Mohd broke the microphone place
As the House met, the BJP legislators objected to the Speaker`s reference of "special session" to the proceedings in his introductory address. They demanded that he call it the budget session.
The four-day assembly session, which began today, has been called for passage of contentious anti-corruption legislation Jan Lokpal Bill and Swaraj Bills by Arvind Kejriwal-led Delhi Government.
The BJP also gave a Calling Attention notice against the Law Minister. The notice was read out by Speaker M S Dhir following which Bharti`s comments were sought.d before Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.
It was also reported that RP Singh, BJP MLA from Rajinder Nagar constituency, threw bangles and lipstick towards Somnath Bharti in a bid to force him into resigning.
Amid shouting of slogans by BJP MLAs, the House was adjourned for 20 minutes by the Speaker.
However, when the business resumed in the Assembly, Congress MLAs trooped into the well of the House and shouted slogans against Bharti. They were carrying placards accusing Bharti of fuelling racism in the city.
Following uproarious scenes, the House was again adjourned for 20 minutes.
Somnath Bharti has been in the eye of the storm for carrying out controversial midnight raid last month in South Delhi`s Khirki Extension area alleging drug trafficking and sex racket by some of African nationals living there.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof