Charge sheet filed against 5 Jamia students in gang-rape case
New Delhi: Five law students of Jamia Millia Islamia University were on Wednesday chargesheeted in a court here for allegedly confining and gang-raping a minor girl at their residence last year.
The probe agency submitted its charge sheet before Metropolitan Magistrate Gaurav Rao, who took cognizance of the matter and fixed February 6 for scrutiny of the documents.
"Accused were produced from the judicial custody. The copy of the charge sheet was supplied to them.... I take cognizance of the charge sheet.... Put up for scrutiny and further proceedings on February 6," the court said.
The charge sheet was filed against the five accused, including Pulkit Chaudhary, Amandeep Kadian, Sharad Shekhar Tomar, Roopenshu Pratap Singh and Vikas Punia.
They have been charged for wrongfully concealing or keeping in confinement, kidnapping or abducting a person, gang-raping and cheating by personating and common intention under the Indian Penal Code.
The sixth accused Prateek Singh Choudhary, apprehended by the police early this month was released after custodial interrogation, as he is still a suspect in the case, the police said, adding that if it finds that he is also involved in the case than it will file a separate report.
The 13-page charge sheet with annexures running into several pages includes 30 prosecution witnesses and 40 documents.
The five law students had allegedly gang-raped the 16-year-old girl who was held in captivity at the South Delhi residence of one of the co-accused, the police had said.
The police has also said that one among the accused had posed as a Delhi police official and raped her saying if she raised her voice or objected to his advances than he will implicate her in a false case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday