Charge sheet filed against 5 Jamia students in gang-rape case
New Delhi: Five law students of Jamia Millia Islamia University were on Wednesday chargesheeted in a court here for allegedly confining and gang-raping a minor girl at their residence last year.
The probe agency submitted its charge sheet before Metropolitan Magistrate Gaurav Rao, who took cognizance of the matter and fixed February 6 for scrutiny of the documents.
"Accused were produced from the judicial custody. The copy of the charge sheet was supplied to them.... I take cognizance of the charge sheet.... Put up for scrutiny and further proceedings on February 6," the court said.
The charge sheet was filed against the five accused, including Pulkit Chaudhary, Amandeep Kadian, Sharad Shekhar Tomar, Roopenshu Pratap Singh and Vikas Punia.
They have been charged for wrongfully concealing or keeping in confinement, kidnapping or abducting a person, gang-raping and cheating by personating and common intention under the Indian Penal Code.
The sixth accused Prateek Singh Choudhary, apprehended by the police early this month was released after custodial interrogation, as he is still a suspect in the case, the police said, adding that if it finds that he is also involved in the case than it will file a separate report.
The 13-page charge sheet with annexures running into several pages includes 30 prosecution witnesses and 40 documents.
The five law students had allegedly gang-raped the 16-year-old girl who was held in captivity at the South Delhi residence of one of the co-accused, the police had said.
The police has also said that one among the accused had posed as a Delhi police official and raped her saying if she raised her voice or objected to his advances than he will implicate her in a false case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister