Charges framed against 13 in Delhi blasts of 2008
New Delhi: A trial court Friday framed charges against all 13 accused in the 2008 Delhi serial blasts case.
Additional Sessions Judge Santosh Snehi Mann ordered framing of the charges against all the accused who are suspected to be members of the outlawed Indian Mujahideen terror outfit.
Of the 13 accused, 11 who were lodged in the Sabarmati Jail in Ahemdabad were brought to the court Friday after the court asked them to appear in person. The other two were brought from Tihar Jail.
"All the accused are charged for offences punishable under sections 121A/121 (waging war against the nation), 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 427 (mischief causing damage) read with 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC (Indian Penal Code) and various sections of the Explosive Substances Act, the Information Technology Act and the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act," the court said.
Charges were framed against Mohammed Shakeel, Mohammed Saif, Zeeshan Ahmed, Zia-ur-Rehaman, Saquib Nisar, Mohammed Sadique, Kayamuddin Kapadia, Mohammed Hakim, Mohammed Mansoor Ashgar Peerbhoy, Mubin Kadar Sheikh, Asif Bashiruddin, Mohammed Akbar Ismail Chaudhary and Shahzad Ahmed.
All accused pleaded not guilty and opted for trial, defence counsel MS Khan said.
Four blasts at Connaught Place, Karol Bagh and Greater Kailash shook Delhi Sep 13, 2008, within a span of 31 minutes, killing 26 people and injuring 135 others.
Five cases were registered in connection with the serial blasts at Gaffar Market in Karol Bagh, Barakhamba Road in Connaught Place, M-Block Market in Greater Kailash and recovery of a bomb near India Gate.
All the five cases were clubbed by the court for the purpose of framing of charges and trial, saying that "they arise from the series of same transaction".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok