Charges framed against two men for raping 5-yr-old
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday framed charges of rape and unnatural offence against two young men accused of raping a five-year-old girl here, paving way for their trial.
Charges of rape and unnatural offence have been slapped against the two accused by the court on its own as these two sections were not invoked by the police in its charge sheet. Provisions under the child protection act have been been invoked against them.
Additional Sessions Judge Sanjay Garg said "prima facie" charges of raping a minor, kidnapping, unnatural offence, attempt to murder, destruction of evidence and wrongful confinement with common intention under IPC are made out against accused Manoj Shah (22) and Pradeep Kumar (20).
The court also framed against them charges of aggravated sexual assault under the newly enacted Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act which entails a maximum punishment of life imprisonment.
The charges were framed against Manoj and Pradeep after they pleaded not guilty and claimed trial.
ASJ Garg, who is presiding over special court under the POCSO Act, fixed the matter for July 24 for recording the statement of prosecution witnesses, including parents of the minor victim.
The duo are accused of brutally raping the five-year-old girl on April 15 in a building in east Delhi`s Gandhi Nagar locality where the victim and accused lived.
The girl was rescued 40 hours later on April 17 and is under treatment at AIIMS.
Manoj and Pradeep, who had fled after committing the crime, were arrested from Bihar, according to the police.
The Delhi Police had on May 24 filed a charge sheet against them under provisions of the POCSO Act relating to aggravated sexual assault and for offences including procuring a minor girl, kidnapping, wrongful confinement, attempt to murder and destruction of evidence under IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues