Cheats arrested in west Delhi
New Delhi: Four persons, including a
woman hailing from Bangladesh, were arrested in west Delhi for
allegedly cheating people by luring them into exchanging
dollars with Indian currency at very cheap rates, police said
The arrested have been identified as Johrul Haq,
Rajjat (both from West Bengal), Razzak from Bihar and Firoza
from Kalamerta district in Bangladesh, Sharad Aggarwal, Deputy
Commissioner of Police (West), said.
The gang used to target owners of chemist shop and
mobile shops. One of them used to visit the shops to buy
recharge coupons or SIM cards or medicines. While the men used
to target mobile shops, Firoza used to develop friendship with
chemist shop owners.
"The men used to develop friendship with the owner and
induce him to exchange dollars with Indian currency at very
cheap rates by pretending that one of their close relatives is
in dire need of money and wants to exchange dollars.
"Firoza used to develop friendship with chemist
shop owners by frequently purchasing medicines from them and
then lure them into buying dollars at cheap rates," Aggarwal
They used to prepare a packet by placing dollars on
both sides and newspapers cutting in dollar shape in between.
After striking the deal with the victim, they used to collect
the Indian currency from the victim and used to hand over the
packet allegedly containing dollars to the victim.
The gang was busted on Friday after Haq was
apprehended by Rajesh Verma, who is working in a clinic in
Nangloi, and handed over to police.
Verma told police that one Raja, who was later
identified as Haq, used to visit the clinic frequently with
whom he became friendly.
Haq allegedly told him that his aunt had some dollars
and she wants to exchange it with Indian currency as she is
dire need of money for her daughter`s marriage.
Haq told him that Verma could earn more money as he
will give him dollars at rates much cheaper than the market
"Haq was to give USD 1,100 to Verma for Rs 50,000.
Verma was asked to meet Haq at Park Hospital in Khyala. Haq
and his two friends were with him and he handed over the
dollar packet to Verma.
"Verma got suspicious and started checking the packet.
At that time, all the three persons started running. He
chased them and ultimately with the help of public apprehended
Haq," Aggarwal said.
They were allegedly involved in two more similar cases
in which they cheated people of an amount of Rs three lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof