Chhath Puja: BJP, Cong leaders visit Chhat Ghats to woo Poorvanchalis
New Delhi: BJP and Congress leaders including Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and her ministerial colleagues on Monday joined Chhath puja celebrations and visited various ghats in an effort to woo around 40 lakh Poorvanchali people who can play a crucial role in next year`s assembly elections.
Dikshit and almost all Delhi Government ministers as well as senior BJP leaders VK Malhotra and Vijender Gupta visited various Chhath Puja ghats expressing solidarity with the people from Bihar and Eastern Uttar Pradesh for whom the Chhath is a major festival.
This time, both Congress and BJP leaders have been making rounds of Chhath ghats to oversee preparation for the celebration apparently to win hearts of the community which constitutes approximately one-third of the total electorate in the city.
BJP leaders claimed that the people from Bihar and Eastern UP or Poorvanchalis, who were known as traditional Congress vote-bank, had favoured it in the municipal polls in April this year helping the party to trounce Congress by grabbing all the three corporations.
Also mindful of the switch-over, the Congress government has left no stone unturned to ensure adequate facilities in all Chhath ghats in the city with Dikshit personally monitoring the arrangements.
"Chhath Parv which offers an occasion to worship sun, has been nurturing social and cultural values of Poorvanchalis settled in the capital city. This festival also helps in cementing social bonds apart from disseminating message of brotherhood, co-existence and mutual cooperation," Dikshit said in a message today.
The BJP-ruled municipal corporations have also pitched in to ensure better civic facilities in the Chhath ghats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon