Chidambaram meets Delhi Police Commissioner
New Delhi: The Delhi Police said Police Commissioner BK Gupta met union Home minister P Chidambaram Wednesday but it denied reports that the two discussed Tuesday`s crackdown on Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers.
"Delhi Police commissioner met home minister but it was only a routine meeting about parliament questions," Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said.
"No law and order issues were discussed... all reports are wrong," Bhagat said.
Media reports quoting sources from the Delhi Police said the police commissioner briefed the home minister about the crackdown against activists of BJP`s youth wing, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM).
There were clashes between members of BJYM and the police when the party activists were staging a protest here at Jantar Mantar, close to Parliament house.
Police lobbed teargas shells, used water cannons and resorted to baton-charge to disperse the demonstrators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site