Chidambaram meets Delhi Police Commissioner
New Delhi: The Delhi Police said Police Commissioner BK Gupta met union Home minister P Chidambaram Wednesday but it denied reports that the two discussed Tuesday`s crackdown on Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers.
"Delhi Police commissioner met home minister but it was only a routine meeting about parliament questions," Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said.
"No law and order issues were discussed... all reports are wrong," Bhagat said.
Media reports quoting sources from the Delhi Police said the police commissioner briefed the home minister about the crackdown against activists of BJP`s youth wing, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM).
There were clashes between members of BJYM and the police when the party activists were staging a protest here at Jantar Mantar, close to Parliament house.
Police lobbed teargas shells, used water cannons and resorted to baton-charge to disperse the demonstrators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'