Chilly, foggy New Year for Delhi; air, rail traffi
New Delhi: New Year began on a chilly note for Delhi Tuesday, with flight and train services hit by the dense fog. The met department said there will be no let up in the cold Wednesday.
A total of 37 flights and 13 train services were cancelled and 24 train services delayed due to heavy fog, according to the Delhi International Airport Authority and Indian Railways, respectively.
There was heavy fog in the morning with visibility reduced to 100 metres at 8.30 am. The sky remained overcast throughout the day.
The minimum temperature dipped to 4 degrees - three notches below average - while maximum temperature was recorded five notches below average at 15.3 degrees.
Homeless people were seen shivering in the bitter cold accentuated by chilly winds.
The met department has forecast similar weather condition Wednesday.
"There will be fog on Wednesday morning. The sky will remain clear in the day," said an official of the India Meteorological Department.
"The maximum and minimum temperatures are likely to hover around 16 and 5 degrees Celsius, respectively."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack