Chilly, foggy New Year for Delhi; air, rail traffi
New Delhi: New Year began on a chilly note for Delhi Tuesday, with flight and train services hit by the dense fog. The met department said there will be no let up in the cold Wednesday.
A total of 37 flights and 13 train services were cancelled and 24 train services delayed due to heavy fog, according to the Delhi International Airport Authority and Indian Railways, respectively.
There was heavy fog in the morning with visibility reduced to 100 metres at 8.30 am. The sky remained overcast throughout the day.
The minimum temperature dipped to 4 degrees - three notches below average - while maximum temperature was recorded five notches below average at 15.3 degrees.
Homeless people were seen shivering in the bitter cold accentuated by chilly winds.
The met department has forecast similar weather condition Wednesday.
"There will be fog on Wednesday morning. The sky will remain clear in the day," said an official of the India Meteorological Department.
"The maximum and minimum temperatures are likely to hover around 16 and 5 degrees Celsius, respectively."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!