Chilly, foggy New Year for Delhi; air, rail traffi
New Delhi: New Year began on a chilly note for Delhi Tuesday, with flight and train services hit by the dense fog. The met department said there will be no let up in the cold Wednesday.
A total of 37 flights and 13 train services were cancelled and 24 train services delayed due to heavy fog, according to the Delhi International Airport Authority and Indian Railways, respectively.
There was heavy fog in the morning with visibility reduced to 100 metres at 8.30 am. The sky remained overcast throughout the day.
The minimum temperature dipped to 4 degrees - three notches below average - while maximum temperature was recorded five notches below average at 15.3 degrees.
Homeless people were seen shivering in the bitter cold accentuated by chilly winds.
The met department has forecast similar weather condition Wednesday.
"There will be fog on Wednesday morning. The sky will remain clear in the day," said an official of the India Meteorological Department.
"The maximum and minimum temperatures are likely to hover around 16 and 5 degrees Celsius, respectively."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir