Chilly, foggy New Year for Delhi; air, rail traffi
New Delhi: New Year began on a chilly note for Delhi Tuesday, with flight and train services hit by the dense fog. The met department said there will be no let up in the cold Wednesday.
A total of 37 flights and 13 train services were cancelled and 24 train services delayed due to heavy fog, according to the Delhi International Airport Authority and Indian Railways, respectively.
There was heavy fog in the morning with visibility reduced to 100 metres at 8.30 am. The sky remained overcast throughout the day.
The minimum temperature dipped to 4 degrees - three notches below average - while maximum temperature was recorded five notches below average at 15.3 degrees.
Homeless people were seen shivering in the bitter cold accentuated by chilly winds.
The met department has forecast similar weather condition Wednesday.
"There will be fog on Wednesday morning. The sky will remain clear in the day," said an official of the India Meteorological Department.
"The maximum and minimum temperatures are likely to hover around 16 and 5 degrees Celsius, respectively."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman