Chinese delegation praises management of Tihar jail
New Delhi: Tihar Jail has got a thumbs up from a visiting Chinese delegation led by Vice justice minister Zhang Sujun for the management of prisons.
Sujun, along with seven others, visited Tihar Jail yesterday and held discussions with Director General (Prisons) Vimla Mehra and other jail officials.
"Prison complex of New Delhi has excellent management, harmonious environment, and is a model for the corrections work in Asia," the minister said.
The delegates visited the IGNOU campus in Central Jail No 3 where about 1,200 prisoners are currently pursuing different courses from IGNOU and NIOS.
"They also saw the preparation of food in jail kitchen and the lodgment of prisoners in the dormitories.
They also visited Drug De-addiction Centre where the treatment of addicts and their rehabilitation activities are carried out with the help of medical staff and NGOs," Tihar spokesperson Sunil Gupta said.
The Chinese Vice-Minister also visited the jail factory in Central Jail No 2. The delegates were told that the factory`s annual turnover is gradually increasing and now expected to be Rs 25 crore in the current fiscal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit a danger to US financial stability: Treasury
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?