CIC summons Delhi Govt Secretary
New Delhi: The Central Information Commission
has summoned a Secretary of the Delhi Government for
"consistently defying" orders of the Delhi High Court and
transparency panel on making public a seniority list of people
who were to be given alternative plots in return of their
"The Commission summons Secretary, Land and Building
Department, along with the Public Information Officer to
appear before it...with their explanations for defying the
orders of the Delhi High Court and the Commission
consistently," Shailesh Gandhi said in his order.
Irked with defiance of its order of December 9, 2010, and
Delhi High Court order of April 30, 2010, to place list of
such people on its web site, Information Commissioner Shailesh
Gandhi directed the Secretary, Land and Building, Delhi
Government to come with proper explanation.
"The Commission will consider taking appropriate steps to
ensure that officers implement all orders given with the seal
of law...The Commission expects that the Secretary would at
least come forth and show the Commission that its order has
been implemented," he said.
The case related to an RTI applicant Sandeep Thakur, who
sought to know from the Delhi Government "the seniority list
of persons whose land has been acquired and also list of
persons to whom recommendations for alternative plots has been
made". But no such list was provided claiming that no such
The Commission pointed out a Delhi High Court order dated
April 30, 2010, which directed the Government to "consider
placing the seniority list on the website of the Land and
Building Department" in order to keep the applicants for
alternative plots inform of the current status of their
"The website status should be constantly updated as and
when there is a movement in applicants file. This exercise
will be undertaken, preferably within eight weeks, in
consultation with information technology department of GNCTD,"
the HC order said.
The Delhi Government had accepted before the Commission
that the total number of people whose list have to be put-up
is about 9,500 but said the decision to host these on web site
had not reached any finality as of now.
"It is unthinkable that Delhi Government cannot put-up
the seniority list for such a small number, and finds it more
convenient to defy the orders of the Delhi High Court and this
Commission...The Commission notes with distress that no effort
appears to have been made to implement the order of the Delhi
High Court and this Commission`s order of December 9, 2010,"
In its order dated December 9, 2010, on the issue, the CIC
has said that the HC order had been flouted and had directed
the Secretary to place the seniority lists of persons whose
land has been acquired in Delhi and also lists of persons to
whom recommendations for alternative plots has been made as
per the order of the Delhi High Court on the website before
January 15, 2011, as mandated under section four of the RTI
"This order has also not been implemented. It is an
absurd state of affairs that the state acquires lands from
citizens and does not deliver what it has promised in return.
Citizens using RTI applications have been trying to
desperately find out why some of them have got alternate lands
and some have not," Gandhi said in his order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in