Clarify move to supply naval warships to Lanka: CPI
New Delhi: CPI on Friday asked the government to clarify its reported move to supply two naval warships to Sri Lanka to strengthen its capability to guard its maritime boundary.
Observing that the government has not contradicted reports that the warships built by a Goa-based defence public sector unit would be given to Sri Lanka, CPI National Secretary D Raja said the move was "highly condemnable".
"The move is highly condemnable because these warships are not going to be used against China or Pakistan. They will obviously be used against India and its fishermen in the name of guarding its maritime boundary," he said.
Seeking clarification from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the government`s position on the issue, he said statements made by some ministers from Tamil Nadu have confirmed the reports.
Raja welcomed Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s letter to the Prime Minister asking him to shelve such a "disastrous move".
The CPI leader said during UPA-I rule, when Left parties supported the government from outside, "government`s move to enter into a defence agreement with Sri Lanka was disapproved and condemned by several parties including the Left."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray