Clean Yamuna in time-bound manner: Mayawati
New Delhi: BSP chief Mayawati on Monday called for time-bound implementation of programmes to clean the Yamuna and coordination between the Centre and states to take steps against pollution of the river.
"There should be coordination between the Centre and the states and time-bound implementation of cleanliness programmes," she told reporters outside Parliament when asked about rallies organised by various organisations and political parties for saving the river.
The chief minister claimed the condition of Yamuna was even "worse" in Delhi than in Uttar Pradesh.
She said, "I had spoken to the Prime Minister when I was Chief Minister to form a special monitoring committee to look into the money spent to clean the river".
Her comments came in the wake of several members in Parliament expressing concern over the "sorry state" of Yamuna river and unanimously asking the government to save the "lifeline" of people from pollution.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour in Lok Sabha, Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj asked the government to take immediate and long term measures to save the lives and livelihood of farmers which were being seriously affected due to pollution of the river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi