Cleric arrest case: Police file closure report in court
New Delhi: The Delhi Police has filed a report in a court here seeking closure of a case against an Islamic cleric who was arrested for allegedly making suspicious remarks onboard a London-bound flight.
The report was filed in a Dwarka court yesterday, sources
The action came after Delhi Police Commissioner YS
Dadwal said it appeared to be a case of "miscommunication" and
the Home Ministry intervened to ensure the cleric`s release.
Nurul Huda, a Deoband cleric and resident of Saharanpur
in Uttar Pradesh, was offloaded from an Emirates Airways
flight from Delhi to London via Dubai after a woman co-
passenger complained about his "suspicious" talk over phone.
The woman told the cabin crew that she heard him saying
over phone that "jahaz udne wala hai, ham udane wala hai" (the
plane is about to take off, we are about to blow up), police
said. The cleric told police he was only telling somebody that
"jahaz udne wala hai (the plane is about to fly)".
Earlier yesterday, Huda left the capital for Deoband
after he was freed on bail. The court granted him bail as the
police did not press the offence registered under non-bailable
Section 505 (creating rumour resulting in public nuisance) of
IPC. He had also been charged under Section 341 (wrongfully
restraining a person) which is a bailable provision.
Home Minister P Chidambaram had instructed Home Secretary
GK Pillai who told Dadwal that "a wrong case" has been
slapped on Huda and since there was no reason to keep him
behind bars, he should be set free, MHA sources said.
Sources close to Huda said they were yet to take a call
on suing the Delhi police for arresting the cleric on "false
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them