CM inspects CP, wants facelift project completed before polls
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Thursday visited Connaught Place to review progress of the much-delayed re-development work in the market and issued strict instrictions to the contractor to finish the project at the earliest.
Expressing unhapiness over slow pace of work, Dikshit told Engineers India Limited that government will not "tolerate" any more delays in the Rs 600-crore project.
The EIL has missed several deadlines in implementing the project which was to be completed before the commencement of the Commonwealth Games in October, 2010.
The Chief Minister visited almost all the blocks of Connaught Place and emphasised the need for restoring its "old glory".
Officials said the city Government has planned a "grand reopening" of the Connaught Place before the assembly elections scheduled to be held in November.
Dikshit was accompanied by Chief Secretary D M Spolia, New Delhi Municipal Corporation chairperson Archna Arora and top officials of EIL.
Officials said the Chief Minister directed concerned agencies to shift cables of various service providers to an underground tunnel immediately.
She also issued instruction to give a proper facelift to inner circle and walkways in the market, besides asking NDMC to focus on horticultural work.
She instructed the NDMC to appropriately design the roadside kiosks and launch a special campaign to remove posters.
Dikshit also asked NDMC to ensure proper cleanliness and sanitation and particularly told the agency to properly maintain the public toilets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice