CM inspects CP, wants facelift project completed before polls
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Thursday visited Connaught Place to review progress of the much-delayed re-development work in the market and issued strict instrictions to the contractor to finish the project at the earliest.
Expressing unhapiness over slow pace of work, Dikshit told Engineers India Limited that government will not "tolerate" any more delays in the Rs 600-crore project.
The EIL has missed several deadlines in implementing the project which was to be completed before the commencement of the Commonwealth Games in October, 2010.
The Chief Minister visited almost all the blocks of Connaught Place and emphasised the need for restoring its "old glory".
Officials said the city Government has planned a "grand reopening" of the Connaught Place before the assembly elections scheduled to be held in November.
Dikshit was accompanied by Chief Secretary D M Spolia, New Delhi Municipal Corporation chairperson Archna Arora and top officials of EIL.
Officials said the Chief Minister directed concerned agencies to shift cables of various service providers to an underground tunnel immediately.
She also issued instruction to give a proper facelift to inner circle and walkways in the market, besides asking NDMC to focus on horticultural work.
She instructed the NDMC to appropriately design the roadside kiosks and launch a special campaign to remove posters.
Dikshit also asked NDMC to ensure proper cleanliness and sanitation and particularly told the agency to properly maintain the public toilets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing