CM Vs Delhi Police: Spat over gang-rape continues
New Delhi: In what may further intensify the war of words between Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Delhi Police, the state’s Chief Secretary on Wednesday said that latter has no authority to comment on the functioning of someone who does not come under its jurisdiction.
Talking to reporters soon after the conclusion of the Cabinet meeting called by the Chief Minister, Delhi Chief Secretary PK Tripathi said,“Delhi Police have no authority to comment on the functioning of someone who does not report to it.”
Tripathi made these remarks following a Cabinet meeting, which was also attended by Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Vivek Vihar, Usha Chaturvedi, who had recorded the gang-rape victim`s first statement on December 21.
Chaturvedi had triggered a controversy by accusing three senior Delhi Police officers of putting pressure on her to record the statement the way it suited police.
Delhi Police chief Neeraj Kumar refuted the charge and accused the Magistrate of not speaking the truth.
Notably, the Chief Minister had also written to Home Minister demanding a high-level probe into the matter.
Today’s cabinet meeting was called despite Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde ordering a "high-level independent inquiry" against senior police officials for allegedly interfering when the rape victim`s statement was recorded by SDM Usha Chaturvedi.
Interestingly, the Delhi police report to the Home Ministry, not to the Delhi CM.
(With IANS Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM