CM Vs Delhi Police: Spat over gang-rape continues
New Delhi: In what may further intensify the war of words between Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Delhi Police, the state’s Chief Secretary on Wednesday said that latter has no authority to comment on the functioning of someone who does not come under its jurisdiction.
Talking to reporters soon after the conclusion of the Cabinet meeting called by the Chief Minister, Delhi Chief Secretary PK Tripathi said,“Delhi Police have no authority to comment on the functioning of someone who does not report to it.”
Tripathi made these remarks following a Cabinet meeting, which was also attended by Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Vivek Vihar, Usha Chaturvedi, who had recorded the gang-rape victim`s first statement on December 21.
Chaturvedi had triggered a controversy by accusing three senior Delhi Police officers of putting pressure on her to record the statement the way it suited police.
Delhi Police chief Neeraj Kumar refuted the charge and accused the Magistrate of not speaking the truth.
Notably, the Chief Minister had also written to Home Minister demanding a high-level probe into the matter.
Today’s cabinet meeting was called despite Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde ordering a "high-level independent inquiry" against senior police officials for allegedly interfering when the rape victim`s statement was recorded by SDM Usha Chaturvedi.
Interestingly, the Delhi police report to the Home Ministry, not to the Delhi CM.
(With IANS Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'