CM Vs Delhi Police: Spat over gang-rape continues
New Delhi: In what may further intensify the war of words between Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Delhi Police, the state’s Chief Secretary on Wednesday said that latter has no authority to comment on the functioning of someone who does not come under its jurisdiction.
Talking to reporters soon after the conclusion of the Cabinet meeting called by the Chief Minister, Delhi Chief Secretary PK Tripathi said,“Delhi Police have no authority to comment on the functioning of someone who does not report to it.”
Tripathi made these remarks following a Cabinet meeting, which was also attended by Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Vivek Vihar, Usha Chaturvedi, who had recorded the gang-rape victim`s first statement on December 21.
Chaturvedi had triggered a controversy by accusing three senior Delhi Police officers of putting pressure on her to record the statement the way it suited police.
Delhi Police chief Neeraj Kumar refuted the charge and accused the Magistrate of not speaking the truth.
Notably, the Chief Minister had also written to Home Minister demanding a high-level probe into the matter.
Today’s cabinet meeting was called despite Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde ordering a "high-level independent inquiry" against senior police officials for allegedly interfering when the rape victim`s statement was recorded by SDM Usha Chaturvedi.
Interestingly, the Delhi police report to the Home Ministry, not to the Delhi CM.
(With IANS Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Just Awesome! WATCH KL Rahul score incredible ton against West Indies in just 46 balls
- Walking can cut cardiovascular death by half
- When Robert Vadra had verbal spat with BJP MLA Ganesh Joshi over police horse Shaktiman's death - ALL DETAILS HERE
- 'Those provoking youth in Kashmir for Jihaad have kept their children in safe havens'
- SEBI mulling relaxed norms for REITs, InvITs, startups listing