CM Vs Delhi Police: Spat over gang-rape continues
New Delhi: In what may further intensify the war of words between Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Delhi Police, the state’s Chief Secretary on Wednesday said that latter has no authority to comment on the functioning of someone who does not come under its jurisdiction.
Talking to reporters soon after the conclusion of the Cabinet meeting called by the Chief Minister, Delhi Chief Secretary PK Tripathi said,“Delhi Police have no authority to comment on the functioning of someone who does not report to it.”
Tripathi made these remarks following a Cabinet meeting, which was also attended by Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Vivek Vihar, Usha Chaturvedi, who had recorded the gang-rape victim`s first statement on December 21.
Chaturvedi had triggered a controversy by accusing three senior Delhi Police officers of putting pressure on her to record the statement the way it suited police.
Delhi Police chief Neeraj Kumar refuted the charge and accused the Magistrate of not speaking the truth.
Notably, the Chief Minister had also written to Home Minister demanding a high-level probe into the matter.
Today’s cabinet meeting was called despite Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde ordering a "high-level independent inquiry" against senior police officials for allegedly interfering when the rape victim`s statement was recorded by SDM Usha Chaturvedi.
Interestingly, the Delhi police report to the Home Ministry, not to the Delhi CM.
(With IANS Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire