CMD, 2 directors of listed firm arrested for cheating banks
New Delhi: CBI has arrested the Chairman and
two directors of a listed company in Ahmedabad for allegedly
defrauding Andhra Bank of around 21 crore by submitting fake
and forged documents.
The three -- Chairman and Managing Director Subash C
Mehta and his two sons and Directors of the company Pradeep
and Deepak -- were arrested by the agency.
CBI conducted searches at the premises of the accused
persons and the company -- Vishal Export Overseas Limited --
which resulted in recovery of various documents that were
being scrutinized for further investigation, CBI spokesperson
said in a release here.
The arrested were produced before the Additional Chief
Judicial Magistrate, Ahmedabad yesterday, which sent Subhash
to judicial custody till April 12 and his sons to two days of
The Bank Securities and Fraud Cell of CBI, Mumbai had
registered a case against the three on the complaint of Andhra
The company, listed in Ahmedabad exchange, is engaged in
the export of agricultural commodities and also claimed to
possess the status of Star Export House. The company had
availed funds like Packing Credit Facility, Foreign Bill
Discounting facility, Letter of Credit facility from a
consortium of about 23 banks to the tune of around Rs 500
crores between 2004 and 2006, it said.
The company allegedly cheated other banks of its funds
by adopting fraudulent means like furnishing bogus and forged
documents to the bank, by getting Letters of Credit opened in
favour of its own associate companies without underlying
genuine business transactions, CBI claimed.
Besides, the company also diverted the funds sanctioned
by banks for its own purpose and failed to utilise for the
purpose for which they were sanctioned.
CBI had earlier registered three cases against this
company and its Directors on the complaint filed by Punjab
National Bank, Vijaya Bank and UCO Bank alleging cheating of
its funds by the company to the tune of around Rs 190 crores.
The allegations were that the company claimed to have
exported diamonds to its associate companies in foreign
countries after availing funds from the bank for other
They also allegedly furnished the same set of documents
for availing different facilities from different banks and
thereby, cheated the financial institutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly